The job search process often continues throughout students' final year of law school. The following timeline is designed to help you stay on-track and conduct a thoughtful and effective job search.
If you are interested in pursuing a public interest career, we also encourage you to review the 3L Public Interest Career Planning Timeline.
Reflecting on Summer & Search Plan
September 1 - October 31
- Take time to consider your 2L summer and how the experience aligns with your career goals
- Add the contacts you’ve developed since you started law school to your database and/or LinkedIn
- Draft follow-up emails and schedule meetings with contacts
- Continue to identify & initiate contacts
- Informational interviews are a requirement of the Upper-Level Foundations of Practice Program
- Attend Employer-in-Residence programs
Job Searching Skills
October 15 - January 31
Preparation & Goals for Post-Grad
February 1 - May 1
The Spring Semester Action Plan will help you complete the Upper-Level Foundations of Practice requirements, as well as:
- prioritize your remaining time in law school,
- assess strengths and skills gaps,
- update your careers timeline,
- continue your summer job or semester externship search, and
- use your professional networks strategically.
See a career counselor for assistance prioritizing the action items in the plan.
- Follow-up with contacts
- Small/Medium Firm networking events
- Identify & attend events
- Develop a plan for networking over spring break
- Attend Coffee with Experience hosted by the Alumni Office (typically hosted in March)
- Read the 3L Career Center Newsletter
- Job postings in CORE, PSJD, AZ Guide
- Submit your resume to spring resume books in CORE
- Direct writes to small/medium firms
- Attend Career Center programs targeted to post-graduation searches
- Decide which state Bar Exam you will take; prepare and submit your Bar application